Translate

About Me

My photo
Los Angeles, California, United States
Isabel was born in Santa Monica, California. She grew up in Los Angeles, where she witnessed crimes and miracles. The accounts of the incidents she witnessed became the subject of her dedication to serving others. She joined the Society of St. Vincent de Paul in May 2011 and now she serves as president of Blessed John Paul II Conference at California State University of Los Angeles. She enjoys traveling, learning about different cultures, painting, and reading. She believes that through art and literacy, we can spread peace and love throughout the world.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

After 4 months...(Reflection)

It has already been about four months since World Youth Day in Brazil and still, I can feel the strong spirit I encountered there. Young Vincentians from across the world made their way to Brazil, where we met on July 18 in Belo Horizonte. We were housed in Cidade dos Meninos, what seemed to be a gated city for children. It was great to see that such an institution had the society’s name on every building with plaques that read, “SOCIEDADE SÃO VICENTE DE PAULO.” Our days were filled with catechesis, Mass, prayer, worship, dancing, and fun.
One of the catechesis sessions was presented by the Society of St. Vincent de Paul’s International President Michael Thio, on the new forms of poverty, which still to the day has not left my mind. New global poverties that Michael Thio discussed included loneliness, addiction, and underclass people who literally have nothing. As I laid on my humble bed in Cidade dos Meninos, I felt happiness arise from an unfamiliar source. Aside from a few clothes, I had only brought with me my love for God. This love was enough to replace everything that I had back home. As I compared my lifestyle in Los Angeles to the one I learned of in catechesis, I felt myself disconnecting from a material world.
On Sunday, July 21, we boarded buses to Rio de Janeiro. All the young Vincentian groups were spread throughout the city and we joined the rest of the Catholic youth from all over the world where together we attended several World Youth Day activities throughout the week. There was catechesis, daily Mass, confession, and even a Young Vincentian Reunion.
On Sunday, July 27, we ended World Youth Day with the celebration of Mass with Pope Francis. I had never seen a sight like the one that day on Copacabana Beach. Hundreds of flags of different countries waved high in the sky, showing Pope Francis our excitement to be participating in World Youth Day. I am so grateful and blessed for experiencing World Youth Day in Brazil. Everything about it was intimate and full of love and joy. God is everywhere, but it felt like he walked with us those two weeks we spent in Brazil. I brought this feeling with me to Los Angeles and I have been sharing it with everyone I meet, while inviting them to join me in Poland for World Youth Day 2016.